Five Rivers MetroParks’ The Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience is the region’s premier outdoor adventure festival, with two full days of excitement for people of all ages. Produced by Five Rivers MetroParks, this festival is the perfect occasion to get out and explore new activities with your family.
Both seasoned outdoor enthusiasts and nature newbies will enjoy more than 20 outdoor activities on Saturday, Oct. 7, from 11 am to 10 pm, and Sunday, Oct. 8, from 11 am to 4 pm, at Eastwood MetroPark, 1385 Harshman Road, in Dayton. Admission and parking are free.
“The Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience has something for everyone, including the family dog,” said Angela York, Five Rivers MetroParks special events coordinator. “We want everyone to find new ways to engage with the outdoors; develop healthy, active lifestyles; and have fun.”
Don’t miss these family-friendly activities at the Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience:
- Weekend staycation: Pitch a tent and sleep under the stars on the banks of the Eastwood Lagoon. Tell spooky stories, read your child’s favorite books and sit around the campfire. Camping is free and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Learn how to step up your family’s camping game at the event’s Outdoor School, featuring workshops on camp cooking techniques and outdoor skills.
- Live animal fun: From stunt performing pups to up-close animal encounters, nothing excites young explorers more than furry, scaly or flying friends. Children can visit the Youth Adventure Zone to see live animals and learn from their handlers. Kids can also watch their best furry friend make a splash in the Subaru Buckeye DockDogs
- Learn from the pros: Children get a chance to watch the pros during mountain biking, whitewater, BMX and slacklining demos. Adventurous kiddos can then try some of these activities in the Youth Adventure Zone.
- Nature exploration: From interactive water displays to autumn leaves, early learners love hands-on sensory activities. Five Rivers MetroParks naturalists offer guided activities that bring children close to their natural surroundings. Join the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio for outdoor playtime and additional nature-themed activities.
- Paddle on: Try kayaking, canoeing, whitewater surfing and more! Adventure into the Eastwood Lagoon for a family canoe session, or watch your kids kayak for the first time. Stick around to see kayaking and stand up paddling pros perform aerial flips and tricks in the Mad River whitewater feature.
- Tike bikes and pumptrack: Kids learn new cycling skills in the Bike Village. Little ones can learn the basics on balance bikes, while more experienced riders can put their skills to the test on the pumptrack.
- After dark scavenger hunts: The Rock the Night Hunt on Oct. 6 is an evening mad dash to find as many glow-in-the-dark rocks as possible for a chance to win cool prizes. Kids not only love to stay up past their bedtimes, they enjoy friendly competition with their family as teammates.
- Music, food and more: Festival attendees can enjoy offerings from a variety of different food trucks and grownups can enjoy craft beer in the Beer Garden. Local and regional acts take the stage to treat festival-goers with live music during the festival.
The fun doesn’t stop at OutdoorX. With 18 clean, safe MetroParks to enjoy, there are family adventures to be had year-round. If you try an activity you enjoy, stop by Five Rivers MetroParks’ event booth to learn how to enjoy nature play, cycling, paddling, hiking, fishing and other activities — you may even discover your family’s new favorite park.
Local outdoor adventure clubs will be present and can provide information on how to connect with local outdoor enthusiasts or embark on new adventures. Outdoor retailers will be on site to connect you with the correct equipment to continue doing all your favorite activities. Stay and enjoy great music on the stage and party with the pros all evening.
Learn more about Wagner Subaru Outdoor Experience by visiting metroparks.org/outdoorx.