I know how fall weekends are: Packed with extra curriculars, that drive to get outdoor work done before it cools down and – if you’re anything like my house – lots of football. The thought of getting in the car and driving to Indianapolis might not even be on your radar, but it should be.
It’s when the Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience opens at Fort Harrison State Park. What’s the Experience? A 2-day interactive outdoor recreational event with more than 50 activities to see, try, and do as a family.
If you’ve visited the Midwest Outdoor Experience in Dayton before, then you’ll have a taste of what an Outdoor Experience event is like. But here’s why you should plan the road trip to Indianapolis:
- There are50+ outdoor activities to try. Archery, mountain biking, fishing, paddling, horseshoes. Tree dog demos, field-to-table workshops and orienteering. Disc golf, crossbow and pony rides. Any of these sound fun?
- The entire event space is casual and laidback.No advanced signups for activities, tickets, or pay-to-play areas. If you think an activity sounds interesting, hop on over and check it out!
- It’s FREE.Aside from the gas spent to drive here and food along the way, the entire event is free of charge for everyone.
- WE will be there…Our sister publication Indy’s Child Magazine runs the Family Zone on Saturday, 9/19 with bounce houses, touch a truck, soccer clinics, a family obstacle course and more.
- It’s rain or shine.If the weather sprinkles a little during your drive, rest assured all the activities and volunteers will still be there to greet you when you arrive.
The Ford Hoosier Outdoor Experience runs 9/19-9/20 at Fort Harrison State Park, located at 5753 Glenn Road in Indianapolis. This event is FREE and open to all ages. Advanced registration is kindly requested to help event organizers best plan for your family. Visit HoosierOutdoorExperience.com for details and stop by the Indy’s Child Family Fun Zone on 9/19 for fun tailored to children ages 12 and under.