Moms are superheroes – and they really deserve more recognition that just one day a year! Here at Dayton Parent, we know how special moms are, so we’ve compiled a list of fun, unique ways to celebrate Mother’s Day. Choose one (or more!) of these ideas and spend some time showing Mom just how important she is to your family.
1. Celebrate all the moms in the animal kingdom at the Cincinnati Zoo’s Zoo Babies. All during the month of May, the littlest residents of the Zoo will be on display – and on Mother’s Day, moms get in free! The Zoo is open from 10 am – 5 pm this Mother’s Day.
2. Take a hike at the Glen Halen Nature Preserve, which is hosting a special Mother’s Day hike and tea. The event takes place 10 am – 12 pm, and registration is required.
3. Check out the International Butterfly Show at Krohn Conservatory from 10 am – 5 pm on Mother’s Day. Celebrate the show’s 20th anniversary, which pays tribute to the Filipino culture. Moms get in free on their special day, and coupons are available from their website for the rest of the family.
4. Celebrate Mother’s Day, farm style. On May 9, head over to Learning Tree Farm’s Vintage Farm Fun event. From 3-7 pm, enjoy a live vintage fashion show, silent auction, kids crafts and tours of this beautiful farm. Purchase tickets in advance to save on admission.
5. Take Mom shopping at the Fourth Annual Mother’s Day Expo. This event takes place on May 2 at The Mall at Fairfield Commons. This free event features lots of local and home-based businesses, guaranteeing you’ll find the perfect gift for Mom.
6. Get moving! Lace up your sneakers for the Mother’s Day 5K Run/Walk in Middletown. The course goes through the beautiful Woodside cemetery and arboretum, with proceeds benefitting Woodside Hospice Care.
7. Enjoy brunch at one of the many great restaurants in Dayton. History-loving moms will appreciate the atmosphere at The Golden Lamb in Lebanon, while country-cooking enthusiasts will enjoy the quaintness at The Golden Jersey Inn at Young’s Jersey Dairy. For a fancier menu, head to Coco’s Bistro in Downtown Dayton, for brunch options such as Crème Brule French Toast and Filet & Eggs.
8. Sit down for tea at The Tea Room, which is open Wednesdays – Saturdays from 11 am – 2 pm and located in historic West Alexandria. Meanwhile, Central Perk European Café serves Afternoon Tea daily at 2 and 4 pm, and offers a uniquely British experience as its owners hail from northwest England.
9. Appreciate the arts at the Dayton Art Institute, which is running an American Impressionism exhibit through May 31. The Museum is open 12 – 5 pm on Sundays, and is located near several fine-dining establishments in downtown Dayton.
10. Bring Mom to Broadway: Take Mom to a showing of WICKED at The Schuster Center. A winner of multiple awards, this production will be sure provide a memorable day. Another option: a matinee performance of Grease at the Dayton Playhouse.
From all of us at Dayton Parent, happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful moms in our area!