On Tuesday, July 4 from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m., the Boonshoft Museum will host an Independence Day celebration for the entire family. Red, White, and Boonshoft! festivities will take place indoors and outdoors (the show goes on rain or shine), and the day will feature fantastic fun mixed with science.
“Families have an opportunity to celebrate the holiday with science, while enjoying an exciting indoor fireworks show, learning about rockets, and enjoying liquid nitro ice cream,” says Dawn Kirchner, Vice President of Education at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery.
The day’s activities will include special events both indoors and out at the Museum. Red, White, and Boonshoft! will highlight:
- A view of Patriotic Skies, the most spectacular indoor fireworks show in the city, under the dome, at a special planetarium extravaganza
- Animal encounters with the Boonshoft’s Discovery Zoo ambassadors in Keeper Talk, Tidal Pool, and Otter Talk
- Rocket Stations – Visitors will experiment with various forms of propulsion, designed to launch rockets Indoor(seltzer, straw,) and Outdoor (Stomp Rockets)
- Cool Science –See the chilly side of summer science with this “cool” experiment featuring liquid nitro ice cream!
- Red, White, and Baby – Intended for younger visitors, this colorful sensory area will be full of things to do, touch, and move, like red, white, and blue-colored rice
- Red, White, and Boom – Learn the science behind this Fourth of July tradition, as we explore the colorful and explosive chemistry of fireworks
- View artifacts from the Museum’s Anthropology Collection with strolling interns with artifacts related to American history
- Visit Ben Franklin’s Laboratory to experiment with electricity, inventions, and other curiosities enjoyed by “Poor Richard” himself
The star-spangled celebration will spotlight a special appearance by Uncle Sam, with science demonstrations, planetarium shows, star-gazing, and games. There’ll also be face-painting, star-spangling (with nail polish in water and oil) and lots more Fourth of July fun. The Discovery Zoo will be busy too, offering guests opportunities to make friends with our popular ambassador animals.
As a treat for our members, there’s a special “members only” activity for their enjoyment. Kids are eligible to win a prize to take home as a memory of their visit.
What patriotic festivity would be complete without traditional American treats like hot dogs, hamburgers, and other classic summertime favorites? Food vendors Underdogs and Kona Ice will be positioned just outside the Museum entrance where guests can purchase snacks, food, and drinks to satisfy their hunger and slake their thirst.
All Red White & Boonshoft! activities are included with regular admission; free for members.
Located at 2600 DeWeese Parkway, the Boonshoft Museum is open to the public 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday, and 12 noon-5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $14.50 adults, $12.50 seniors (60+), and $11.50 for children (3-17), Children under 3 and members are free. (937) 275-7431.