Five Rivers MetroParks and Cohen Recycling are making the holidays greener by setting up holiday light recycling stations in six MetroParks locations in Montgomery County.
Recycling holiday lights also supports MetroParks’ conservation mission, as Cohen will make a donation to the Five Rivers MetroParks Foundation based on how many lights are recycled.
Drop off lights at one of six locations and support the Five Rivers MetroParks Foundation.
- The following locations are accessible during park hours, daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Carriage Hill MetroPark, 7800 E. Shull Rd., Dayton: Recycling bin is located at the entrance to the Visitor Center.
- Sugarcreek MetroPark, 4178 Conference Rd., Bellbrook: Recycling bin is located at the main parking lot entrance under the kiosk.
- Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark, 1301 E. Siebenthaler Ave., Dayton: Recycling bin is located at the front of the main building.
- Possum Creek MetroPark, 4790 Frytown Rd., Dayton: Recycling bin located at the education building at the Possum Creek Farm.
- Adventure Central at Wesleyan MetroPark, 2222 N. James H McGee Blvd., Dayton: Recycling bin is located inside the entrance and is accessible during facility hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- 2nd Street Market, 600 E. Second St., Dayton: Recycling bin is located at the northwest entrance and is accessible anytime.
Extra waste generated during the holidays — including decorations, food and paper waste —amounts to 25 million tons of garbage, according to the Use Less Stuff Report and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
“The holidays are a busy time and recycling might not be top-of-mind, so we wanted to make it easy for people to make more sustainable choices,” said Tim Pritchard, Five Rivers MetroParks’ sustainability coordinator. “Cohen is helping us keep waste out of the landfill and providing the MetroParks Foundation with a generous donation, which helps MetroParks protect the region’s natural heritage.”
Information about the holiday light recycling program is online at metroparks.org/lights.
ABOUT FIVE RIVERS METROPARKS
Celebrating more than 50 years of preserving green space and natural areas, Five Rivers MetroParks is a nationally renowned park system composed of natural area parks, gardens, high-quality river corridors, urban parks and a network of recreation trails. Five Rivers MetroParks protects the region’s natural heritage and provides outdoor experiences that inspire a personal connection with nature. Educational programs and recreational opportunities are offered year-round for all ages. Five Rivers MetroParks is accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies. To learn more about Five Rivers MetroParks, log onto www.metroparks.org or call 937-275-PARK (7275).
Founded in Middletown in 1924, Cohen is one of the largest family-owned metal recycling companies in North America. Cohen helps businesses and individuals alike recycle metal and electronics safely, responsibly and conveniently. Our mission is to provide the communities we serve a cleaner and more sustainable environment through innovation, outreach and an unwavering commitment to our people. Learn how to recycle your scrap metal and electronics and find a recycling center near you at CohenUSA.com.