On Wednesday, July 4 from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m., the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery invites you and your family to Red, White, and Boonshoft! The Museum’s annual celebration of Independence Day takes place both indoors and out (the show goes on rain or shine), and features lots of Fourth of July fun with a science perspective.
“Museum visitors will have a blast with indoor fireworks, rockets, and all things science this holiday celebration,“ says Dawn Kirchner, Vice President of Education at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery.
Indoor and outdoor activities will headline special events at Red, White, and Boonshoft!:
- A view of Patriotic Skies, the most spectacular indoor fireworks show in the city, under the dome, at a special planetarium extravaganza
- Watermelon Explosion – Visitors will apply rubber bands around melons and guess how many it will take to make them explode!
- Rocket Stations – Visitors will experiment with various forms of propulsion, designed to launch rockets Indoors (seltzer, straw,) and Outdoor (Stomp Rockets)
- Cool Science –See the chilly side of summer science with this “cool” experiment featuring liquid nitro ice cream!
- Red, White, and Baby – Intended for younger visitors, this colorful sensory area will be full of things to do, touch, and move, like red, white, and blue-colored rice
- Red, White, and Boom – Learn the science behind this Fourth of July tradition, as we explore the colorful and explosive chemistry of fireworks
- Vet Stage Programs – Have an artifact encounter from the Museum’s collections vault
No patriotic celebration would be complete without an appearance by Uncle Sam in the flesh. The holiday excitement continues with science demonstrations, planetarium shows, star-gazing, and games.
Other programs include face-painting, star-spangling (a technique accomplished with nail polish in water and oil), and lots more, Red, White and Boonshoft! fun. Popular ambassador animals from the Discovery Zoo will be present to meet and greet visitors enjoying the festivities.
Don’t miss the special “members only” activity offered as a gift for our loyal supporters.
Traditional American holiday celebrations just aren’t the same without hot dogs and hamburgers. These and other classic summertime favorites will be available from our onsite food vendors. Underdogs, Kona Ice, and Cumberland Kettle Corn will be positioned just outside the Museum entrance where guests can conveniently purchase snacks, food, and drinks to satisfy their hunger and thirst.
All Red White & Boonshoft! activities are included with regular admission; free for members.
About the Boonshoft Museum
Located at 2600 DeWeese Parkway, the Boonshoft Museum is open to the public 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday, and 12 noon-5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $14.50 adults, $12.50 seniors (60+), and $11.50 for children (3-17), Children under 3 and members are free. (937) 275-7431. BoonshoftMuseum.org.