On Thursday, July 4 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery invites you to celebrate Red, White and Boonshoft. This year’s annual Independence Day festivities will take place inside and outside the Museum, and the science fun goes on rain or shine!
“We’ve planned a summer extravaganza for our visitors this year, with indoor fireworks, rockets, and lots of fun science to celebrate our national holiday,“ said Dawn Kirchner, Vice President of Education at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery.
Activities to expect at Red, White and Boonshoft:
- View Patriotic Skies, for the best seat in town for a spectacular indoor fireworks show in the Museum’s Caryl D. Philips Space Theater.
- Watermelon Science – In this hands-on activity, join the team to apply rubber bands around melons and guess how many it will take to make them explode!
- Rocket Stations – Enjoy this experiment with various forms of propulsion, designed to launch seltzer and straw rockets indoors and stomp rockets indoors.
- Cool Science –See the chilly side of summer science with this “cool” experiment featuring liquid nitro ice cream!
- Red, White, and Baby – Intended for younger visitors, this colorful sensory area will be full of things to do, touch, and move, like red, white, and blue-colored rice.
- Red, White, and Boom – Learn the science behind the Fourth of July tradition and explore the colorful and explosive chemistry of fireworks.
- Vet Stage Programs – Have an artifact encounter from the Museum’s collections vault.
Be on the lookout for Uncle Sam as he greets Boonshoft Museum visitors in the spirit of the holiday. The excitement continues with science experiments, explosive demonstrations, planetarium shows, star-gazing, and games.
You can also enjoy face-painting, star-spangling (a mix of science and art using nail polish, water, and oil), and lots more Red, White and Boonshoft fun. Meet popular animals from the Discovery Zoo who will be on hand to meet and greet guests.
Don’t miss the special “members only” activity offered as a gift for our loyal supporters.
Local food vendors will be positioned just outside the Museum entrance where you can purchase hot dogs, hamburgers, and other fare to satisfy your hunger and thirst.
Plan an entire day of Museum fun! All Red White & Boonshoft activities are included with regular admission; free for members. Our Salute to the Military buy-one-get-one special runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day!
About the Boonshoft Museum
Located at 2600 DeWeese Parkway, the Boonshoft Museum is open to the public 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday, and 12 noon-5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $14.50 adults, $12.50 seniors (60+), and $11.50 for children (3-17), Children under 3 and members are free. (937) 275-7431. BoonshoftMuseum.org.