Now in its 25th year, Make a Difference Day is one of the largest annual single days of service nationwide. With the common goal to improve the lives of others, millions of volunteers will gather across the country and commit their time to local projects. Five Rivers MetroParks has participated in Make a Difference Day in different capacities for the past few years, and hopes to register 550 volunteers in 2017.
“Make a Difference Day is the perfect occasion to have an experience in the park you can feel extra good about,” said Yvonne Dunphe, MetroParks volunteer coordinator. “The weather is cooler, fall color is on full display and you get to spend the day meeting new people while helping to spruce up your favorite MetroPark.”
Five Rivers MetroParks will participate in this year’s national Make a Difference Day from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Oct. 28. Register online by Tuesday, Oct. 24, at https://www.metroparks.org/make-difference-day/.
Community members of all ages will work at various sites throughout the Dayton area, including:
- Planting and invasive species removal at Adventure Central
- Gardening at Aullwood and Eastwood MetroPark
- Tree planning at Sugarcreek MetroPark
- Restoration and invasive plant removal at Cox Arboretum,Germantown and Wegerzyn Gardens MetroPark
- Trash removal, seasonal gardening and preparing ice skates atRiverScape MetroPark
- Mending fences and invasive species removal at Taylorsville MetroPark
- Trash and invasive species removal at Englewood MetroPark
- Gardening, invasive species removal and restoration at Hills & Dales& Island MetroPark
- Winterize garden beds, planting and farm trail maintenance atPossum Creek MetroPark
For those looking to volunteer as a family, Dunphe suggests Possum Creek MetroPark and Adventure Central for younger children, while older children can enjoy volunteering at Germantown MetroPark.
More information is available and registration can be completed online. Participants should wear clothes that are suitable for the weather and the activity in which they are participating. Boots or thick-soled shoes also are recommended. Supplies will be provided for activities, but individuals may wish to bring their own gloves or water to drink. Five Rivers MetroParks’ Make a Difference Day is sponsored by Universal 1 Credit Union.
ABOUT FIVE RIVERS METROPARKS
Celebrating more than 50 years of preserving green space and natural areas,Five Rivers MetroParks is a nationally renowned park system composed of natural area parks, gardens, high-quality river corridors, urban parks and a network of recreation trails. Five Rivers MetroParks protects the region’s natural heritage and provides outdoor experiences that inspire a personal connection with nature. Educational programs and recreational opportunities are offered year-round for all ages. Five Rivers MetroParks is accredited by theCommission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies. To learn moreabout Five Rivers MetroParks, log onto www.metroparks.org or call 937-275-PARK (7275).